A doughnut is a sweet dessert made with fried leavened dough with various toppings and flavors. Doughnuts made with high protein flour are less dense and more airy with yeast used as a leavening agent, which feeds on the present sugars and releases carbon dioxide. Hence, this results in raising the dough and making it light and porous. Whereas this is a biological process, in cake doughnuts which are more dense, leavening process is chemical; using baking powder (baking soda + an acid) as leavening agent, this neutralizes the base and produces CO2 gas.
- Fresh Yeast
- Vanilla extract
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- In 377 ml of light warm milk (or condensed milk) add 200 g of sugar, Fresh Yeast 0.5 oz (active dry) and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Take 250 g butter, add 3 eggs, vanilla extract and mix.
- Now combine the above two mixtures and Add 700 g flour through sieve to get a smooth dough and the one that rises easily through intervals, add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and mixing along.
- Next Knead the dough and let it rise for 1 hour after oiling it a bit with olive oil to keep the dough fresh and then refrigerate. You can knead again and leave it overnight for best results.
- After that roll and flatten the dough to a half inch thickness and cut round circles out of it, and let them rise again for a few minutes or until almost double in size.
- Now deep fry them to cook, due to their size and thickness they might take around 5 minutes on each side.
- Once done, fill the donuts with melted chocolate, natural fruit jam, custard or cream cheese frosting through a piping bag. If needed frosting can also be used on top.
4 oz cream cheese, 150 ml honey, Vanilla extract 1 tsp and 200 ml milk and mix to combine.