Soft Crisp Layered Butter Bread
- Dry Yeast
In warm/ or iced (especially in summer, because than butter starts to breakdown) 250 ml water put 150 ml milk, next add 300 g of all purpose flour, add 4 tbsp of brown sugar, 100 grams of powdered milk, 2 tsp of instant dry yeast; now mix the dough and add 1 tsp of salt and 70 g of natural butter. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes, shape it somewhat like sphere and then cover and let it rise. Then refrigerate it for 1-9 hours.
- Next take 400 g of butter and flatten it like a sheet and refrigerate.
- Proofing stage is really critical for croissants.
- Now flatten the refrigerated dough and put the flattened butter on the top as a layer, so the dough is laminated with butter. Then fold the dough on butter encompassing it like an envelop. And then roll it out to stretch it further and make a three folds from the side.
- Next put it in a tray and cover it and refrigerate for 1 to 9 hours.
- After that roll out the dough again, then perform three folds from the side and roll it out again to flatten, pushing the CO2 out increases yeast performance and flavor development. Put it back on the tray with covering and refrigerate for another 1 to 9 hours.
- Now the dough should have increase in size, next roll out the dough and cut it out in desired shapes and size and fillings.
- After that cover it and let it rest for an hour and then brush some egg or olive oil on top and place it in the preheated oven at 350o F for 13 to 21 minutes. And there should be a beautiful crust (non-enzymatic browning).